BAJI new york organizer
full-time – new york city area
The Black Alliance for Just Immigration (BAJI) is a racial justice and migrant rights organization which engages in education, advocacy, and cross-cultural alliance-building in order to strengthen a national movement to end racism, criminalization, and economic disenfranchisement in African American and Black immigrant communities. New York is a city shaped by the Great Migration, a historic hub for progressive movements and grassroots organizing and home to a rapidly growing and diverse population of West African, Latin American and Caribbean immigrants. As a progressive leader in the fight for immigrant rights and racial justice, BAJI has a number of initiatives that seek to mobilize and build power for Black communities in New York and the BAJI Organizing Committee.
The BAJI New York City Organizer will be responsible for implementing the BAJI strategic plan in consultation with BAJI staff, BAJI Organizing Committee members, and strategic partners in New York City. She/he/they will show leadership and commitment to BAJI guiding principles, framework, analysis and implementation methods.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in local, state, and regional immigrant rights and racial justice coalitions and campaigns
- Coordinate local, state, and regional BAJI campaigns, events, public education, trainings and other activities
- Recruit local BAJI Organizing Committee members and hold monthly Organizing Committee meetings
- Outreach to, engage, educate and mobilize local Black immigrants, including youth, community leaders and directly impacted individuals
- Outreach to, engage, educate, and work alongside Black elected officials, Black leaders and Black grassroots organizers in support of immigrant rights, racial justice and human rights
- Outreach to local, state, and regional immigrant rights organizations and leaders
- Provide/facilitate education for migrant justice, racial justice, human rights, and labor groups about issues affecting Black immigrants and Black Americans
- Engage in public speaking and facilitation of groups in support of BAJI’s mission and objectives
- Perform administrative tasks and other duties as required by the position and as assigned
Skills and Qualifications:
- Highly professional, organized, and self-motivated
- Excellent verbal, writing, and interpersonal skills
- Dedication and ability to work flexible hours
- Knowledge of current immigration and racial justice issues, and local, state, and regional organizations and agencies
- Very analytical and strong knowledge of legislative process (local, county, state)
- More than 3 years of relevant experience working on immigrant and refugee community issues. Experience as an organizer in the immigrants rights movement is preferred, but not required
- Excellent writing, analytical, public speaking, meeting facilitation, organizing skills and organizing background required
- Strong communication and computer skills required
- Ability to work cooperatively with diverse staff and with diverse communities
- Demonstrated supervisory experience
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and handle multiple, complex tasks
- Multi-lingual capacity a plus, but not required.
Salary commensurate with experience. BAJI offers a generous benefits package.
BAJI is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military status, marital status, familial status, caregiver status, predisposing genetic characteristics, veteran or active military service member status, pregnancy, arrest or conviction record, unemployment status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com