director of policy and advocacy
full-time – dmv area
The Black Alliance for Just Immigration (BAJI) is a racial justice and migrant rights organization which engages in education, advocacy, and cross-cultural alliance-building in order to strengthen a national movement to end racism, criminalization, and economic disenfranchisement in African American and Black immigrant communities.
The Director of Policy and Advocacy leads the design and management of BAJI’s overall policy strategies regarding BAJI’s immigration rights and racial justice priorities in consultation with BAJI’s staff, BAJI’s members, and strategic partners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead BAJIs federal immigration policy and advocacy agenda, including permanent protections for undocumented and under-documented people, detention and deportation, and federal, state and local enforcement of immigration law
- Meet regularly with other members of BAJI’s Policy Team through weekly conference calls and/or
meetings in order to discuss emerging issues, provide feedback and share peer support
- Work with BAJI’s organizational partners and individual members to further BAJI’s advocacy goals and be lead staff on BAJI’s policy coalition partnerships
- Develop, monitor and analyze policy on relevant issue areas and make recommendations on federal, state and city laws or regulations
- Develop and implement advocacy strategies (to include legislative visits, letters, fax and call-in campaigns, media relations, hearings, actions, etc.)
- Responsible for e-advocacy coordination
- Prepare updates, talking points, action alerts, sample letters, etc. as part of advocacy strategies
- Research and write policy on diverse immigration reform issues
- Work with the Communications Director on press events, including press conferences, public forums, rallies and other events as necessary
- Handle immigrant profiles for advocacy strategies; such as legislative visits, testimony or media
- Develop and implement advocacy trainings and capacity building on advocacy strategies
- Respond to requests for technical assistance, information, materials and public speaking
- Assist in writing funding proposals and reports on activities relevant to immigration policy and advocacy
- Contribute to other organizational projects as necessary
Skills and Qualifications:
- Highly professional, organized, and self-motivated
- Excellent verbal, writing, and interpersonal skills
- Dedication and ability to work flexible hours
- Knowledge of current immigration and welfare issues, including key organizations and agencies
- Very analytical and strong knowledge of legislative process (local, county, state, federal)
- JD or graduate degree preferred but not required
- More than 5 years of relevant experience working on immigrant and refugee community issues
- Excellent writing, analytical, public speaking, meeting facilitation, organizing skills and public
policy background required
- Strong communication and computer skills required
- Ability to work cooperatively with diverse staff and with diverse communities
- Demonstrated supervisory experience
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and handle multiple, complex tasks
- Multi-lingual capacity a plus, but not required
Salary $85K, commensurate with experience.
BAJI offers a generous benefits package.
BAJI is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military status, marital status, familial status, caregiver status, predisposing genetic characteristics, veteran or active military service member status, pregnancy, arrest or conviction record, unemployment status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org