BAJI los angeles organizer
full-time – los angeles area
The Black Alliance for Just Immigration (BAJI) is a racial justice and migrant rights organization which engages in education, advocacy, and cross-cultural alliance-building in order to strengthen a national movement to end racism, criminalization, and economic disenfranchisement in African American and Black immigrant communities. Los Angeles, CA is a city shaped by the Great Migration, a historic hub for progressive movements and grassroots organizing and home to a rapidly growing and diverse population of East African, West African, Central American and Caribbean immigrants. As a progressive leader in the fight for immigrant rights and racial justice, BAJI has a number of initiatives that seek to mobilize and build power for Black communities in Los Angeles.
The BAJI Los Angeles Organizer will be responsible for implementing the BAJI strategic plan in consultation with BAJI staff, BAJI Organizing Committee members, and strategic partners in Los Angeles. They will show leadership and commitment to BAJI guiding principles, framework, analysis and implementation methods.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in immigrant rights and racial justice coalitions and campaigns
- Coordinate BAJI campaigns, events, public education, trainings and other activities
- Staff local BAJI Organizing Committee
- Outreach, Engage, Educate and Mobilize Black immigrants, including youth, community leaders and directly impacted individuals
- Outreach to Black elected officials, Black leaders and Black grassroots organizers
- Outreach to immigrant rights organizations and leaders
- Provide/facilitate education for migrant justice and labor groups about issues affecting Black immigrants and Black Americans
- Write for BAJI publications and other publication and represent BAJI-LA in the media
- Public Speaking and Facilitation of Large Groups
- Perform administrative tasks and other duties as assigned
BAJI-LA Organizer must demonstrate knowledge about Black immigrant and Black American communities in Los Angeles; an ability to mobilize people around events and issues; and the ability to recruit members to BAJI organizing committees as well as maintain relationships with community members and strategic leaders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- At least two years community organizing experience in Los Angeles
- Organizer experience in the immigrants rights movement is preferred, but not required.
- Self-motivation and ability to follow through on assigned tasks
- Bi/Multilingual preferred but not required
- Dedication and ability to work flexible hours
Salary $60+K, commensurate with experience.
BAJI offers a generous benefits package.
BAJI is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military status, marital status, familial status, caregiver status, predisposing genetic characteristics, veteran or active military service member status, pregnancy, arrest or conviction record, unemployment status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com