Bay Area Organizer
Full-time – remote
Organizational Summary: The Black Alliance for Just Immigration (BAJI) is a racial justice and migrant rights organization which engages in education, advocacy, and cross-cultural alliance-building in order to strengthen a national movement to end racism, criminalization, and economic disenfranchisement in African American and Black immigrant communities.
The Bay Area in Northern California has been known for its rich legacy of self-determination struggles and cross-cultural movement building represented in many different movements that catalyzed in the Bay; the Anti-Apartheid Movement, Third World Liberation Front, the Black Power Movement, Alcatraz Island Occupation and American Indian Movement, and many more struggles. As a progressive leader in the fight for immigrant rights and racial justice, BAJI-Bay Area draws from the rich organizing legacy in the Bay Area to grow and build current movements for racial justice and immigrant rights.
Position Summary: The BAJI Bay Area Organizer will be responsible for implementing the BAJI strategic plan in consultation with BAJI staff, BAJI Organizing Committee members, and strategic partners. They will show leadership and commitment to BAJI guiding principles, framework, analysis and implementation methods.
Duties & Essential Job Functions
- Participate in immigrant rights and racial justice coalitions and campaigns
- Coordinate BAJI campaigns, events, public education, trainings and other activities
- Staff local BAJI Organizing Committee
- Outreach, Engage, Educate and Mobilize Black immigrants, including youth, community leaders and directly impacted individuals
- Outreach to Black elected officials, Black leaders and Black grassroots organizers
- Outreach to immigrant rights organizations and leaders
- Provide/facilitate education for migrant justice and labor groups about issues affecting Black immigrants and Black Americans
- Write for BAJI publications and other publication and represent BAJI-Bay Area in the media
- Public Speaking and Facilitation of Large Groups
- Perform administrative tasks and other duties as assigned
BAJI-Bay Area Organizer must demonstrate knowledge about Black immigrant and Black American communities in the Bay Area; an ability to mobilize people around events and issues; and the ability to recruit members to BAJI organizing committees as well as maintain relationships with community members and strategic leaders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- At least two years community organizing experience in the Bay Area
- Organizer experience in the immigrants rights movement is preferred, but not required.
- Self-motivation and ability to follow through on assigned tasks
- Bi/Multilingual preferred but not required
- Dedication and ability to work flexible hours
Salary commensurate with experience. BAJI offers a generous benefits package.
BAJI is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military status, marital status, familial status, caregiver status, predisposing genetic characteristics, veteran or active military service member status, pregnancy, arrest or conviction record, unemployment status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com . If you have questions, please call 347-410-5312.