Civic Engagement Outreach Associate
Submission: Submit to jobs@BAJI.org and put “BAJI Civic Engagement Outreach Associate” in the subject line.
Compensation: Monthly contract at $3000 per month
BAJI Overview: The Black Alliance for Just Immigration (BAJI) educates and engages African American and Black immigrant communities to organize and advocate for racial, social and economic justice. Local BAJI Organizing Committees in New York, Georgia, California and Florida with staff in Texas and Minnesota, build coalitions and initiate campaigns among communities to push for racial justice. At the local and regional level, BAJI provides training and technical assistance to partner organizations to develop leadership skills, works with faith communities to harness their prophetic voice, and initiates vibrant dialogues with African Americans and Black immigrants to discover more about race, our diverse identities, racism, migration and globalization.
Project Overview: The Black Alliance for Just Immigration (BAJI) is seeking an experienced organizer to join our Civic Engagement. The Civic Engagement Outreach Associate will be contracted to advocate, educate, and organize Black immigrants, surrounding civic engagement issues & voter engagement in Georgia,Texas; NY and Southern & Northern California.
Scope of Work
Civic Engagement Outreach Associate Responsibilities:
- Outreach to Black people, including Black immigrants
- Support BAJI’s voter registration plan to increase participation amongst suppressed voter communities.
- Participate in local immigrant rights group meetings, take notes and report back.
- Build relationships with partner organizations, mobilize communities through non-partisan voter engagement, support advocacy and coalition building efforts. Engage with the community at high traffic areas (houses of worship, community centers, market centers/restaurants, social events).
- Participate in organization-wide work, virtual meetings, BAJI campaign efforts and events. This effort is both digital and in-person only with COVID-19 safety protocols.
- Educate Black people about voter suppression, the electoral process and the importance of voting while supporting civic engagement campaigns.
- Support in building our database of Black immigrant organizations
- Recruit volunteers and expand capacity through VAN
- Conduct and assist with text & phone banking, canvassing and other tools like Hustle.Track, collect and implement data strategy with Mobilize.us, promote activities on social media.
Must have verifiable organizing experience, this position is a contracted position.
- Organizing or advocacy, issue campaign experience
- Ability to work with diverse groups and organizations
- Understanding of social and racial justice movement dynamics