BAJI Communications Associate
The Black Alliance for Just Immigration (BAJI) is a racial justice and migrant rights organization that engages in education, advocacy, and cross-cultural alliance-building in order to strengthen a national movement to end racism, criminalization, and economic disenfranchisement in African American and Black immigrant communities. BAJI’s headquarters are in Brooklyn and we have additional offices in Oakland, Atlanta, Miami, and Los Angeles.
Reporting to Communication Director, the Communications Associate will assist with media campaigns, manage social media, draft press releases, develop messaging materials, and provide support for special events. The Communications Associate will also cover areas such as press engagement, op-ed writing, website content, newsletters, and donor communications.
Duties & Essential Job Functions:
- Support BAJI’s messaging efforts through print, social media, website, and digital communications as needed.
- Support the management of the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic materials including, newsletters, brochures, social media, and statements.
- Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (i.e. article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
- Press management i.e. develop and maintain relationships with reporters (local and national) who focus on issues related to the Campaign.
- Writing and editing press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, and other media content that support BAJI’s campaign initiatives and messaging.
- Creation, development, and update of messaging materials
- Working with outside writers to develop and edit content for publications.
- Partner and work with staff members on supporting media for events and speakers.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing/implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Experience with racial justice and/or migrant rights movements is a plus.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment; be flexible; well organized and self-sufficient
- Self-motivation and ability to follow through on assigned tasks
Salary commensurate with experience. BAJI offers a generous benefits package.
BAJI is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military status, marital status, familial status, caregiver status, predisposing genetic characteristics, veteran or active military service member status, pregnancy, arrest or conviction record, unemployment status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org .