The Black Alliance for Just Immigration (BAJI) is a racial justice and migrant rights organization which engages in education, advocacy, and cross-cultural alliance-building in order to strengthen a national movement to end racism, criminalization, and economic disenfranchisement in African American and Black immigrant communities.
BAJI strongly believes that those most impacted by injustice are best positioned to lead social movements. For this reason we engage in organizing and leadership development in order to empower Black people to effectuate change. To implement this strategy BAJI has organizers in five metropolitan regions – New York City, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Miami, and the Bay Area. serving Black communities who are focused on racial justice and migrant rights.
BAJI is seeking a highly experienced Director of Organizing to manage and build BAJI’s organizing and campaign work. This position will manage the base building and campaign work in our five Chapters (New York City, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Miami, and the Bay Area) across the country. As a member of BAJI’s senior leadership team and in consultation with BAJI staff, the Organizing Director will be responsible for leading the organization’s local, state, and national organizing initiatives.
Duties & Essential Job Functions:
- Design, plan and implement major campaigns
- Provide strategic guidance to BAJI’s organizing, leadership development, and capacity building initiatives
- Manage leadership development, skills building and political education work for organizing staff and members
- Develop and facilitate trainings on organizing, and leadership and campaign development for BAJI organizers and partner organizations
- Maintain relationships with local and national partners in the broader social justice movement
- Represent BAJI with local and state government officials, in the media, and with allied organizations
- Perform administrative tasks and other duties as assigned.
The Organizing Director should demonstrate knowledge and experience working in Black communities; an ability to mobilize people around issues and events; and the ability to build partnerships and coalitions with allies and key stakeholders.
- A minimum of 3 years of supervision and direct management experience in social movement spaces, political engagement, or related field, particularly of organizers
- 3-5 years experience in community, labor or political organizing, advocacy, or coalition building for social change
- Experienced in developing and executing leadership development training that deepen community member understanding and analysis of the systemic nature of oppression
- Knowledge of worker and/or youth development models and experience supporting leadership development of grassroots members
- Experience in volunteer/member recruitment, leadership development, mobilization and reflection
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for racial justice, and migrant rights.
Salary commensurate with experience. BAJI offers a generous benefits package.
BAJI is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military status, marital status, familial status, caregiver status, predisposing genetic characteristics, veteran or active military service member status, pregnancy, arrest or conviction record, unemployment status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org .