Federal Policy Manager
Full-time – remote
The Black Alliance for Just Immigration (BAJI) is a racial justice and migrant rights organization which engages in education, advocacy, and cross-cultural alliance-building in order to strengthen a national movement to end racism, criminalization, and economic disenfranchisement in African American and Black immigrant communities. BAJI’s headquarters are in Brooklyn, NY and we have additional offices in Oakland, CA, Atlanta, GA, Miami, FL and Los Angeles, CA.
The Policy Manager will engage elected officials, policy advocates, and other stakeholders in challenging mass criminalization and unjust enforcement of immigration laws as well as rules and regulations that undermine the welfare of immigrants.
Duties & Essential Job Functions:
- Assess and implement BAJI’s public policy agenda in coordination with national and local staff.
- Deepen BAJI presence in key state and local municipalities
- Advocate with BAJI members on organizational policy priorities, including preparing and compiling testimonies on policies impacting Black communities
- Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders including elected officials and advocacy partners
- Develop and project policy expertise on key issues, including immigration reform, detention, deportation and racial profiling, amongst others
- Monitor, research and interpret federal policy proposals for internal and external distribution.
- Anticipate possible advocacy developments and outcomes and prepare contingency plans and strategy adjustments
- Update staff and members on policy and legislative developments
- Draft legislative updates, call-in day scripts, and other advocacy-oriented materials
- Represent BAJI in key national coalitions and briefings.
- Minimum 2-5 years experience in the areas of immigration, criminal justice and/or racial justice
- Masters in public administration or political science, or a law degree, preferred, but not required
- Solid understanding of the politics of the policy-making process
- Organizing background on Racial Justice especially as it intersects with immigration; is a plus
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including the ability to discuss public policy issues in clearly and concisely
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Comfortable and experienced in fast-paced environment and handling multiple deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences, including news media, about policy
- Extremely well organized and systems oriented; Strong analytical skills and the ability to pay attention to detail.
Salary commensurate with experience. BAJI offers a generous benefits package.
BAJI is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military status, marital status, familial status, caregiver status, predisposing genetic characteristics, veteran or active military service member status, pregnancy, arrest or conviction record, unemployment status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Salary: $65k- $70k
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have questions, please call 347-410-5312.