RFP: Rapid Response Campaign Coordinator
Submission: Submit to jobs@BAJI.org and put “BAJI Rapid Response Organizer” in the subject line. Proposals accepted on a rolling basis until: October 5th, 2021
Project Dates: Project Begins- October 3rd 2021 – Tentative end date – December 24, 2021
BAJI Overview: The Black Alliance for Just Immigration (BAJI) educates and engages African American and Black immigrant communities to organize and advocate for racial, social and economic justice. Local BAJI Organizing Committees in New York, Georgia, California and Florida with staff in Texas and Minnesota, build coalitions and initiate campaigns among communities to push for racial justice. At the local and regional level, BAJI provides training and technical assistance to partner organizations to develop leadership skills, works with faith communities to harness their prophetic voice, and initiates vibrant dialogues with African Americans and black immigrants to discover more about race, our diverse identities, racism, migration and globalization.
Project Overview: Plans, directs and manages all aspects of Campaign priorities for Until We’re Free rapid response actions to advance racial justice and migrant rights. Responsible for the planning and direction of staff activities and financial resources to accomplish the goals and objectives of the Campaigns as assigned. Develops strategies, creates strategic plans for Weeks of Action, establishes priorities and benchmarks, provides leadership, evaluates campaign effectiveness and manages budgets. Manages day-to-day operational aspects of campaign activities. Represents the campaign to organization partners, the media, community leaders, allies and other organizations, and the public.
Scope of Work
Rapid Response Campaign Coordination
- Run a national mobilization plan for strategic days of action in support of Black migrants, racial justice and migrant rights
- Host campaign strategy calls
- Engage and coordinate with local campaign organizers to offer support and direction
- Aide in the development and implementation of strategic organizing plan
- Assist in program design and implementation for Days of Action
- Supporting Until We’re Free Campaign table
- Participate with the Until We’re Free organizing and communications teams through regular/weekly calls, emails and other communication
- Other duties as necessary
- Develop, sustain, and expand strong and active relationships with strategic partner organizations
- Regularly track and document active campaigns and priority issues with BAJI partner organizations, identifying and implementing ways for BAJI to support
- Maintain regular communication with and engagement of partner organizations
- Minimum of 4 years of grassroots organizing and advocacy
- Familiarity with BAJI’s issues landscape, organizing groups, and institutions in racial justice and migrant rights
- Experience developing and implementing issue campaigns in regional and national context
- Demonstrated understanding of how social change happens and an analysis of the role that organizing plays in social change efforts
- Ability to establish credibility and respect with partners, and an understanding of how to build strong, long term relationships
- Demonstrated ability to manage details and follow-through
- Strong time management skills and the ability to monitor progress towards goals, and track metrics.
- Team player who inspires collaboration lifts up the work of others, and maintains balance and perspective with patience and a sense of humor; ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems and contribute to decisions that enhance the organization’s effectiveness
- Proven ability to build and nurture a calm and positive working environment, even in high-intensity situations.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and proven ability to work with emotional intelligence, receive feedback, work through conflict with integrity, and operate within principles of solidarity when working in partnership with groups representing constituencies impacted by oppression.
- Proven ability to work in a manner that respects differences in race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Proficiency with G-suite.
- Ability to work irregular hours, including evening and weekend events as necessary.
- Willingness to travel.
Reports to: Executive Director. The consultant/firm will also work closely with BAJI’s staff, including the Communications Director, as well as with BAJI’s campaign partners.
Criteria for selection: All applicants will be judged on the basis of criteria including:
- Understanding of targeting and metrics for advocacy and direct action campaigns;
- Demonstrated high level of organizing experience, or comparable political advocacy experience;
- Experience training and managing a team and dedication to fostering a strong campaign staff pipeline
- Commitment to establishing a culture of respect and community;
- Experience recruiting, developing, training and empowering volunteers;
- Previously held Organizer or Regional Organizing Director position(s) preferred;
- Extremely strong staff management skills;
- Ability to demonstrate multicultural competence – the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways;
- Have a personal and professional commitment to promoting and investing in cross-cultural skills and awareness related to individuals from broad backgrounds, races, ethnicities, religions, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and disability;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent organizational, management, and interpersonal skills;
- A positive, team-oriented attitude
Proposal submissions: To be considered for this role, please submit a resume and a proposal which includes the following information below. Please make sure to include the following information:
- Background: Name, title and contact information.
- Experience: Tell us about your firm/company’s relevant experience. If possible, please also tell us about who we’d be working with and their experience as applicable.
- Approach: In two pages or less, briefly explain your strategic approach to this work.
- Equity: Please explain whether and how your firm has advanced the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion within the firm, and state how that is reflected in the leadership , ownership, and work of the firm. Please share how you will center equity in your work for this project.
Cost and availability: Please detail your proposed compensation and expenses, as well as hourly/deliverable metrics. Please note that BAJI will accept proposals up to $10,000/month for this work.
Source: Where did you hear about this RFP?
References: Past clients that BAJI may reach out to as references, with contact info.
Most-favorable terms: BAJI reserves the right to make an award without further discussion of the proposal submitted. Therefore, the proposal should be submitted initially on the most favorable terms that the vendor could propose. There will be no best-and-final-offer procedure. BAJI does reserve the right to contact a vendor for clarification of its proposal.
The vendor should be prepared to accept this request for proposal for incorporation into a contract resulting from this request for proposal. Contract negotiable.
We will begin reviewing applications ASAP. Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled, at which time the job announcement will be removed from our website.
Please send a cover letter and resume through this application portal as a single PDF. Applications received via email or outside of the designated process will not be considered.